Ok, so I think this is one of my favorite posts ever! I don't know even where to start...it has been such a world win this last week and a half. First we would like to introduce everyone to our daughter Isabella. She was born on Friday, March 14th. She weighed 6 pounds 6 oz, and was 19 inches long.
It has been such an amazing experience, and better than anything I could ever imagine. Jeff and I decided the beginning of this year that we would start the process for a domestic adoption, since Logan's case has taken longer than we thought. We figured that we should get a start on it now, since it would probably take awhile. We finished all of our paper work in February, and felt really good about things. We settled in for the long wait.
On Thursday the 13th we got a call from our case worker. She said that they might have a match for us. She said that the birth mother wanted the agency to pick the adoptive parents, and they thought of us. Our case worker said that the birth mother's due date was a week away. She had decided not to find out the sex of the baby, but she thought she was having a boy. For some reason Jeff and I felt it was a girl. Our case worker asked us to think it over and get back with her, so she could start looking for another family if we weren't interested. We told her that we would pray about it over the weekend and let her know on Monday.
Well, on Friday we got a message that Bella's birth mother was going to the hospital, because she felt like she was going into labor. Jeff and I thought about if we could do this or not. Needless to say we did not get much sleep that night. We were both so excited and anxious. Saturday morning we received a call that our little girl was born Friday night. Our case worker asked us how soon we could be there, and I told her I would call the airlines immediately.
By Saturday evening we were at the hospital holding our little girl. It was one of the most amazing and inspiring events of my whole life. Everyone always said that it would happen for us, but I could never have believed it would be so wonderful. It's such an amazing process to look into the face of your child. She is such a beautiful and perfect little girl. Even now I will still look at her and tears will come to my eyes, because I am so happy and grateful. It's amazing how all the years of pain and tears are melted away when you hold your child in your arms. It reminds me of a scripture found in the Book of Mormon, Alma 36:20. She is one of the greatest miracles that I have ever seen take place in my life.
In Nevada the birth mom has 72 hours before she can sign the papers to make the adoption legal. Bella had to stay in the hospital that whole time. We longed to take her home and start our little family, but we did meet some amazing nurses. They were all so excited for us. They kept telling Bella how blessed she was, but I definitely feel it was the other way around.
On Monday evening Bella's birth mother signed the paper work. We were able to check Isabella out of the hospital on Tuesday afternoon. By Wednesday the paper work had been sent off to Nevada. Our agency told us that the process would take anywhere from three to ten days. We were prepared for the worst. On Tuesday Jeff ended up having to fly home because he had finals for school. He hated to go and we hated to see him leave. Luckily my mom was able to fly into Vegas on Tuesday. It really helped to have the extra hands. On Thursday we found out that the paperwork was completed in Nevada, and was being sent onto Oregon. By Friday afternoon we got the go ahead to leave and head back home. We were so excited, and thrilled at how quickly the process had taken.
It has been so interesting to see the difference in processes between Logan and Bella's cases. They have been so different, yet each one has been such an incredible learning and faith promoting experience. We are so blessed. I still feel like I'm going to wake up one of these days and it will all be a dream. I just look at Bella, and wonder how did we get so lucky. We are so excited to have her in our home, and look forward to her brother joining us soon. It's so interesting to see how similar the two of them look. It's neat also to be on the other side now, and see Heavenly Father's hand in this whole process. What wonderful miracles.
19 comments:
YEAHH!!!!! I have been waiting and waiting for the details of this miracle! Thanks for sharing Shauna--I can't wait to meet Bella, and hopefully Logan soon too!!
We can't even tell you how excited we are for you! What an amazing blessing and miracle! She is so beautiful! Congrats!
Yay! Congratulations - I am so excited for you two! You definitely deserve it, I can't wait to meet her!!!
Love, Jessi B
Oh my goodness, when I saw the subject in the email I almost didn't dare to believe!! How exciting, I am so happy for you guys! Congratulations!
Oh Shauna! I couldn't be happier for you! What a huge blessing and such wonderful news! If you need any help, advice (although I don't know how qualified I am!), or product reviews, let me know! I am just SO happy for you both.
We are SOOO happy for you guys! That is just simply amazing... what a sweet blessing! We can't wait to come see her.
Hope all is well. You'll have to tell me some good tricks for handling a newborn! I'm getting nervous! ;)
How exciting. It was so cool to see you walk in on Sunday with her. I have been waiting for your return for soooooo long. Maybe you will even let me hold her in church. Oh I guess you should let Jeff hold her at church first, but only for a minute!!
oh my gosh!!!! that is all i can say. i'm so HAPPY for you guys! i started crying while i was reading your post! i can't wait to see more pics of your new babe! i'm so happy for you guys!!!!
This is so exciting! Congratulations! You have waited so long for something like this, and I can think of no parents more deserving than you guys.
Congratulations!! I am so happy for you guys. Your post made me cry, I'm so thrilled! We recently had our firstborn son in December, and it brought back all those great memories after waiting 5 yrs to start our family. Holding a new baby really is the best thing ever. Your little girl is adorable and she is lucky to have such wonderful parents. Thanks for sharing this! She's an angel.
I am a birthmother giving my baby up for adoption. Reading your story inspires me and has helped to know that I am making the right decision.
Congratulations! She is gorgeous! Adoption is such a miracle! I found your blog through Brenley. We're in the middle of our own adoption story right now, so this really touched my heart. I can't believe how quickly things happened for you. It's just another testament that the Lord has a plan and things will just fall into place. Congratulations again! So happy for you! -- Cali
Hattie and I looked eagerly at your gorgeous pictures and we are very happy for you. Having three in your family is so great. And very soon you'll be four!
Oh my goodness, I am so happy right now. I have goose bumps. Congratulations!!! Wish I was in Oregon so I could come meet her. Hope you all are enjoying every minute with your new little girl!!!
Yay! I'm so gald you guys posted these pictures. She's so cute. I can't wait to come home so I can see her. If you find a trick that works esspecially well for newborns make sure you pass that info along to me.
Congratulations! Oh what a happy miracle for your family! I am so excited for you. She is precious. Try to get lots of sleep, and let me know if you need anything!
OH CONGRATS!! I saw you guys walk into 3rd ward on Easter and it looked like you were carrying a tiny bundle, but I wasn't sure. This is so exciting! She is just beautiful. What a fantastic Easter Miracle. You have such a wonderful family, Bella is truly blessed!
Hey Jeff! It's Julee, from years ago. I saw your story on Bryce and Brenley's Blog and I am so excited for you guys. Congrats on your new little girl, she is beautiful and I hope you are able to have Logan in your home soon. Love ya! Julee
PS- we have a blog to it's: www.hartvigsonfamily.blogspot.com
Post a Comment