Tuesday, November 24, 2009

What We Were Doing A Year Ago

I've kind of been neglecting our blog lately, but I wanted to take a minute to write about what happened this past Friday. On November 20Th of last year, Logan finally came home. Since November is national adoption month I thought it would be a good opportunity to write about what adoption means to our family.

I will always love this picture, because it was our first picture taken as a complete family.
There are many journeys that people take to get to the adoption process. Each one is unique and different, but for us the outcome was so much better than we could have ever imagined. I always knew that I wanted to be a mother. For me it really didn't matter how my children came to our family, because I knew they were all coming from heaven no matter the means by which they arrived.

I look at my two beautiful children and know that God's hand was in their arrivals into our family. This is another one of my favorite pictures from the day that Logan came home. This was the first time that Logan and Bella saw each other. I love the look they are giving one another. There was an instant connection between the two of them, and I have loved seeing it grow over the past year. They are best friends and eternally brother and sister.
Thinking back over this past year I feel so proud of all that Logan has accomplished. He had a lot of major changes thrown into his little two year old life, but I feel like he has excelled and reached some amazing milestones in such a short amount of time. It hasn't always been easy over this past year, but it has been so worth it to have Logan in our family. He is such an incredible and amazing little boy. I feel so blessed and lucky that I get to be his mother. Often times people say how adoption helps put children in a better place, but the truth is that these amazing little spirits do so much more for the parents that adopt them. Logan and Bella have given me so much more than I could ever give them. They have made it possible for me to fulfill my dreams, and experience more happiness and joy than I ever thought was possible.
If someone asked me if I would adopt again, I would do it in a heartbeat. There are so many children out there that need to be loved and adored. Sometimes God sends children biologically, and sometimes God needs parents to have open hearts and arms to welcome a little one into their family. If you think about it that's not very different than biological parents. There are a lot of fears when facing the adoption process, but there are fears no matter if you are looking at parenthood from the adoption or biological side of parenting. I think the most important thing about any life decision is praying to know what God would have you do, and then having faith in his plan. I know how adoption has impacted our family, and I am eternally grateful for the opportunity I was given to experience the joy of adoption.

11 comments:

Tia Hopper said...

That's so great! I am so happy for you guys and the wonderful opportunity you have had to get these precious little ones! On another note, as I read your blog and look at those first pictures of Logan, how was that transition to your home and family? He seemed so happy and OK with it. I expected him to look scared or confused. I'm glad he's adjusted so well! He's a lucky boy to have great parents!

Anonymous said...

Has it really been a whole year already??? My goodness!

Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!

Kirsten & Midge said...

We were wondering where you guys were. Happy adoption month! We are so glad little Bella and Logan are in our family.

Wendi said...

I remember meeting Logan just right after he joined your family in Virginia. He really has grown up so much in the last year! That is so adorable when Bella and Logan were looking at each other.

Kari said...

I completely agree with you on how becoming a parent, no matter what way, is a decision best left in the Lord's hands when we move forward with faith. I'm so happy for you 4! Here's to another great year!

Peggy Glasmann said...

Shauna - What a year and what a process to get there. I have always been amazed at the words in the sealing that say "as if they had been born". There will be no difference. I also love how in this country, when the adoption is finalized a new birth certificate is issued that lists you as the parents "as if" you had given birth. We love you all!

Dan and Bec said...

Very well written, brought tears to my eyes! I am so happy to know you and your cute little kids. Logan has the BEST smile ever! I thoroughly enjoyed watching him come into primary on Sunday. He will be so fun to teach!

Kate the Great said...

I love your little family so much! There was no one else on earth meant to be a mother to those children and all you have to do is look at you together to understand that.

Happy 1 Year anniversary, and happy Adoption month.

Lis said...

Wow! I cant believe its ONLY been a year since you got Logan home with you! Amazing! Think of how far youve grown and how far hes come in such a SHORT amount of TIME! You are so amazing Shauna! congrats! What a happy day!

Anonymous said...

Happy One Year Logan!!! Though I think in our family we all believe that you have been in our lives and hearts forever.

As the grandma of those two beautiful babies, I too am so thankful for adoption and the Lord's hand in it. I truly believe that Logan and Bella's greatgrandpa Wayne and Grandma Joyce were helping prepare them to come to our family even before they ever came to earth.

Love you guys and have a great Turkey Day,
Love,
Mimi

The Pickled Red Herring said...

I love love LOOOVEEEE those pictures!!! Especially the one with Logan and Bella first meeting. These are just so precious.