Sunday, May 27, 2012

Playing Hooky

A few weeks ago Jeff and I were talking about how we both felt run down, and we just needed to get away for a day or two.  Have you ever noticed how a change in scenery or break from the everyday routine can do wonders for your outlook and attitude?  Our first thought was to call his Aunt and Uncle to see if we could stay with them for the weekend.  They have two of the most adorable and sweetest boys that my kids and I adore.  Because their boys are crazy talented at sports it also means they have insane practice and game schedules, when we realized that we couldn't go visit them we started devising a plan B.

After going back and forth on several different ideas we decided to play hooky from church and go visit a place called Wallace State Park.  Now I am not condoning the fact that we missed church, but I am whole-heartedly loving the fact that we had one of the BEST family days ever.  We decided to take the back roads to get there and home, which made the trip even that more enjoyable.  (As a side note:  Pretty much the only music I get listen to these days are Disney and kid songs, but some of my all time FAVORITE songs are country songs.  And one of my favorite singers is Rodney Atkins (Did you know he is adopted?  Makes me like him even more.)  This whole trip reminded me of his song Take a Back Road.  You can listen to it here.  This trip definitely helped me to GET RIGHT WITH MY SOUL.)

Once we got to the park I instantly felt myself take a full breath and just begin to relax.  There is the most beautiful lake and hiking trails.  The kids could have spent hours throwing rocks into the lake.  It completely helped remind me how simple things can be in life.  Pure happiness and joy comes in the smallest and simplest of moments.  Jeff had asked me if I wanted to bring my camera as we were walking out the door I didn't have the energy to go back and get everything together so I just decided I was fine with out it.  At first I was completely bummed that I hadn't brought it, because it was so beautiful. Then I realized it was probably better that I hadn't brought it, because it made me focus and enjoy my time with my family even more.  Here are a few snapshots that I took with my phone.










We decided to stop off at a little town called Cameron after we enjoyed our hike and the lake.  The kids were starting to get hungry and since we decided to just take the day as it came I hadn't planned far enough ahead to make lunches for everyone.  We took the kids to a Pizza Hut, and they thought it was the most amazing thing ever.  They had no idea that there are restaurants that serve only pizza.  The whole time Jeff and I talked about how much we LOVE living in small towns.  The slower way of life is 100% appealing to me.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks beautiful there. You'll have to take us there when we come. But watch out for those Canada geese!
Love,
Mimi

Kirsten & Midge said...

It reminds me of Oregon.